These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

radio downloads hang or severe bottleneck.

user-1088

Hi

(2.97, windows 7)

Anyone else getting this problem, or just me?

It's been occurring for the last couple of days.

I'm trying to download a variety of radio programs on different stations. I get the cmd window to open & starts d/l as normal, but about 90% of the time it either hangs completely, or it trickles along d/l a few kilobytes every 20 seconds or so. I've adjusted the options, including quality, but with no luck.

I've tried a couple of TV shows & they downloaded correctly

Forum Admin Q:
Why am I getting this error creating my signature?

"You cannot update your signature because it is too long. The maximum length for signatures is 1 characters. Please remove 26 characters and try again."

user-30

Hello,

Signatures are not available on this forum.

With regards to the issue you are facing when downloading, please see our submission guidelines:

thread-706.html

Yes, there's a lot of info there, but with the info you've provided there's no way we can effectively help you.

Thanks.

user-1088

Hi

Unsure what more info I can give as I've used, as noted, various options so posting code would not be that helpful.
I'm uncertain it is an actual get_iplayer problem, which is why I asked if others were having similar. Depending on replies I would have either investigated my usage further or wait until the BBC sorted the problem
I'm unable to be exact in my post because I don't know *what the problem is* or *know precisely what I'm doing* I apologize profusely for that, but that's what you get with virtual newbies.
I may have read the help (twice, as you recommend), but that doesn't mean I *understand* them. Again, I apologise.

Do you think having three separate guides for a niche program like this benefits either the developers or end users?

Is the squarepenguin guide up to date? I thought flash* was now deprecated?

Why doe this forum have a signature option if it can't be used?

Cheers
Dave F.

user-30

(08-12-2016, 04:20 PM)Hi

Unsure what more info I can give as I've used, as noted, various options so posting code would not be that helpful.

Are you sure it wouldn't be helpful?

There are two sure fire ways to resolve a problem on an internet forum:

1) Claim that a programme can't do something (this is particularly effective when claiming "Linux can't do X but Windows can").

2) Give those who you are seeking help from a way to recreate the issue on their machines

Quote:I'm uncertain it is an actual get_iplayer problem, which is why I asked if others were having similar. Depending on replies I would have either investigated my usage further or wait until the BBC sorted the problem

If, for example, you could give the exact code you are using and the programmes you are downloading, others could try the exact same thing on their machines and let you know if they find the problem too.

Quote:I'm unable to be exact in my post because I don't know *what the problem is* or *know precisely what I'm doing* I apologize profusely for that, but that's what you get with virtual newbies.
I may have read the help (twice, as you recommend), but that doesn't mean I *understand* them. Again, I apologise.

Absolutely no need to apologise. Just don't give up. The best thing to do is go through the submission guide I linked to point by point. Literally write:

1. Problem is...and I would have expected...to happen instead

2. get_iplayer version is...

etc etc etc.

Some parts won't be relevant if you're not using the webpvr for example, so just put 'N/A' for those headings.

Don't skip any points and make sure to take the time to do the important bits like you'll see it tells you how to create and attach a log so that we can check it, that'll be crucial to see what's happening on your machine.

Quote:Do you think having three separate guides for a niche program like this benefits either the developers or end users?

Not sure which three guides you mean. Sorry.

If you are talking about the 'guide' section, the 'faq' section and the 'wiki' section then those sections do very different things and there isn't a way of combining them into one giant thing.

Quote:Is the squarepenguin guide up to date? I thought flash* was now deprecated?

For the most part it is. There's quite a bit of change happening with get_iplayer at the moment and that's due to settle down shortly (many options are due deprecation) at which point it'll get updated. The modes you mentioned are not currently deprecated as you can see in the Options Wiki.

The list of currently deprecated options is at the bottom of that Options page.

Quote:Why doe this forum have a signature option if it can't be used?

Because myBB isn't the best and despite turning it off in the options it still shows it in users profiles, and I haven't had cause to search through the templates and remove it.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info