These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Quality downgrade?

user-935

It seems to me that the BBC have downgraded the quality of what is available on iPlayer.  The file sizes are smaller and as an example "Inside Versailles, Series 2, Episode 1", the video quality is very poor and the colours are quite green.  I compared it with an episode from series 1 and the contrast was striking.

I used --tvmode=best so it should be the best available.  What I get (with subtitles) comes out at 68Mb.  Is anyone else noticing a similar change, or am I doing wrong?

user-2

The bitrate and video size are as they should be. I can see a bit of a greenish cast in that programme, but there is nothing get_iplayer can do about colours. It is just a downloader.

user-935

I wasn't suggesting it is a defect in get_iplayer, but I thought it quite possible that there was some combination of flags, some change that I had missed, which would improve things.  However, as Dinky gets the same results as I do, clearly not.  Thank you for that, it is very useful to know.

OTOH, as this forum is the place to go to for technical matters concerning iPlayer, it is worth noting that the files are getting smaller and the video quality is dropping (quite dramatically).  I wonder what the BBC are up to, but who knows?

user-30

Quote:What I get (with subtitles) comes out at 68Mb.

You're definitely not getting the highest quality stream. Something must be wrong with the command you used. Please take the time to file a proper report (guide below) so that we can help:

/threa...ou-provide

Please pay particular attention to point 7.

NOTE - you will need to add --force to your future attempt to re-download the episode of Versailles you mentioned as it will already be in your history and by default get_iplayer won't download it again.

Also, please include the output of get_iplayer --prefs-show in your reply.

user-2

(24-04-2017, 05:35 PM)OTOH, as this forum is the place to go to for technical matters concerning iPlayer,
Umm, if you had read the forum rules before posting you would know that the complete opposite is true. BBC video production problems are irrelevant to supporting get_iplayer. I suggest you try the get_iplayer mailing list, if for no other reason than someone there might be able to refer you to a forum where BBC audio/video production is on-topic.
(24-04-2017, 05:35 PM)it is worth noting that the files are getting smaller and the video quality is dropping (quite dramatically)
For the example you cited, that is not true at all. The file has the expected size and the video has the expected quality, to my eye, that those particular streams have had for at least a couple of years. That green cast could just be poor lighting (e.g., Kate Williams looks greener than Greg Jenner), the video may have been upscaled, eye of the beholder, etc. If you care about this stuff, you need to find somewhere that people are interested in such topics and know enough help you. This isn't that place.
(24-04-2017, 06:24 PM)What I get (with subtitles) comes out at 68Mb.
You're definitely not getting the highest quality stream.Sorry SP - he is getting the expected size for 25fps HD. The programme is only 4 mins.

user-30

Quote:Sorry SP - he is getting the expected size for 25fps HD. The programme is only 4 mins.

Ah yes, my bad. Classic case of not reading properly - I missed the word 'Inside' in the original title that was posted and was comparing against the full episode. Oops!

These forums are archived

See this post for further info