These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get_iplayer on Android phone

user-991

(continued from /thread-1269.html)

Although the voice of G.I.P. God has spoken, a.k.a. Dinky lol, saying that there won't be an Android version of G.I.P. ever, I will incline to disagree that it does have advantages. There are more Android phones & tablets in the world now than the iOS & Windows equivalent & possibly more than the two combined. I'm still more a Windows man I'm afraid at the mo but my phones have all, so far, been android & I nearly had an android tablet. I'll get into Linux one day & then I'll feel I'd be more accepted by the Linux Gang on here lol

user-1251

I don't have any Android devices but a quick search indicates there are a number of free video converters that perhaps will solve the problem?

user-21

the problem with any phone version would be the sheer size of the files being downloaded, few people have unlimited mobile internet and a half hour program takes at least the best part of 200mb

user-250

I run my main GIP on a machine in the cloud. I wrote a rudimentary (private)  android web app to select programmes and send the pids to my cloud machine for download and later retrieval, although to be honest I can use a standard browser and pocket to capture the same information almost as easily.

I have an ssh client for android, so it's no real problem to ssh to my server and enter the pids or even run the pvr.

Inspecting the code for GIP over the years has re-vitalised my interest in Perl and programming in general and my thanks go to all the maintainers.

user-991

(27-04-2017, 04:52 PM)the problem with any phone version would be the sheer size of the files being downloaded, few people have unlimited mobile internet and a half hour program takes at least the best part of 200mb

I understand what you are saying but the internal storage quantity's of mobile phones are increasing & you do have the choice with some mobile phones to be able to use SD Cards of up to 256GB. Besides, I can only speak for myself at the mo & that is I would use my phone, if G.I.P. would work on it, as a temporary means as it is more portable than a laptop. I could use many free Wi-Fi hotspots like McDonald's, Wetherspoons etc but I also happen to be one of those few that does have Unlimited Mobile Internet. So I would definitely have a reason to use G.I.P. on my super smartphone.

user-991

(27-04-2017, 11:11 PM)I run my main GIP on a machine in the cloud. I wrote a rudimentary (private)  android web app to select programmes and send the pids to my cloud machine for download and later retrieval, although to be honest I can use a standard browser and pocket to capture the same information almost as easily.

I have an ssh client for android, so it's no real problem to ssh to my server and enter the pids or even run the pvr.
mrg9999, I am very interested in what you are saying, I think lol
Please correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that you run G.I.P. from a Cloud storage to download programmes to that Cloud & then as & when you want, you can download it from that same Cloud storage to your laptop/P.C.
I have already mentioned on a post that it would be awesome to be able to save a programme download directly to a Cloud storage instead of downloading it to your laptop/P.C. first to then upload it to the Cloud. For me the benefits of being able to do this would be several. For one, if I'm running out of storage space on my 4TB portable hard drive & I need to download some programmes now because their 30 day viewing period is up the next day, I then could save them directly to the Cloud & then when I buy another portable hard drive I then could retrieve them from the Cloud in my own time without worrying about expiry dates.
I'm sorory but I don't know what ssh client for android is mrg9999. I shall have to go & do a search on it to learn lol

user-21

(28-04-2017, 03:12 AM)Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-04-2017, 04:52 PM)the problem with any phone version would be the sheer size of the files being downloaded, few people have unlimited mobile internet and a half hour program takes at least the best part of 200mb

I understand what you are saying but the internal storage quantity's of mobile phones are increasing & you do have the choice with some mobile phones to be able to use SD Cards of up to 256GB. Besides, I can only speak for myself at the mo & that is I would use my phone, if G.I.P. would work on it, as a temporary means as it is more portable than a laptop. I could use many free Wi-Fi hotspots like McDonald's, Wetherspoons etc but I also happen to be one of those few that does have Unlimited Mobile Internet. So I would definitely have a reason to use G.I.P. on my super smartphone.

I was more referring to the download limits of the mobile broadband it self.
I probably download between 2gb and 4gb of programs a day, I dread to think how much that would cost on mobile broadband, or how long it would take to download.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info