These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

get_iplayer 3.00 on OSX 10.7?

user-1713

I have just started to use get_iplayer after the demise of the excellent GiA.  By just started I mean within the last week(!)

Unfortunately I am stuck, at present, on OSX 10.7 Lion on an old MacBook.

My original Homebrew and get_iplayer 2.99 install work OK, with the inherent issues prior to 3.00.  I have been happy to live with the metadata issues etc and work around them with great success.

With the advent of get_iplayer 3.00 I note that I can no longer upgrade to this whilst on OSX 10.7, even though Homebrew is running.  I get an error that I must be on OSX 10.10.

Digging reveals that Homebrew now needs OSX 10.10 to install but still says 10.7 is supported on the website(?).  How come I can't install get_iplayer 3.00 if I have a working version of Homebrew?

I'm obviously fairly new to this area but confused by the errors.  To my mind as long as get_iplayer 3.00 doesn't need a later version of Homebrew (which I'm not aware has been released since I installed it last week) then it should upgrade?

Any advice greatly appreciated.  Unless its buy a new Mac in which case donations are greatly appreciated(!)

Kind Regards
Radar

user-30

It says 10.10 is needed for a Homebrew install.

You can install manually on. 10.7 by following the instructions in the wiki.

user-1713

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I'm finding that wiki a little difficult to follow but I'm sure thats only because I'm out of my depth with the  complexities of get_iplayer outside of simply using it with a PID to download a programme(!).  Thats why I like GiA and could just about cope with the Homebrew install.

Do I need to follow the entire manual install wiki to get from 2.99 to 3.00 or are there steps that can be skipped as they are not necessary?  e.g is there a manual upgrade wiki?

To get where I am now I have simply run the Hombrew install and then the 2.99 get_iplayer was install inside that with the brew install command.

Thanks again for your time.
Radar

user-2

Quote:Do I need to follow the entire manual install wiki to get from 2.99 to 3.00 or are there steps that can be skipped as they are not necessary?

You don't have to install fresh copies of AtomicParsley and ffmpeg if you already installed them via Homebrew as part of a previous get_iplayer installation. You need to perform all the other steps.

user-1713

Thanks again for your time and info.

I have revisited the site and notice updated instructions for Homebrew/Manual.

Given I was only using Homebrew for get_iplayer, I have followed the recommendations and instructions and removed get_iplayer and then Homebrew.

I then followed the manual instructions for get_iplayer only and all went well.  I did not install the Web PWR as I solely want manual PID downloads.  I never used the PVR part of GiA and although I download programmes regularly I'm happy to do it manually.  Personal preference.

Given I am using OSX Lion I notice Perl upgrade advice notices but am not sure how to proceed there but in the short term get_iplayer seems unaffected.  In the medium to longer term I m definitely looking to port my config to a new OSX platform.  I may have the option to use an El Capitan box but only time will tell.  Would you suggest a Homebrew or Manual installation on this platform should I get it?

On OSX Lion (given all of the above) I have successfully downloaded a radio show and all the metadata etc came across just fine.  Tweaked the quality level of the download so getting the hang of the parameters.

I have also successfully downloaded 3 TV shows, only one of which had a metadata issue, but I can live with that.  Given my config I'm guessing its related to that and am happy to live with these unsupported issues.

One 'problem' I have noted, and I'm unsure if its OSX Lion related or not, is the following 'errors' that get flagged after the TV show download and just before tagging etc:

[h264 @ 0x7f99cb842e00] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period

[h264 @ 0x7f99cb842e00] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing
[h264 @ 0x7f99cb842e00] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 0x7f99cb842e00] SPS unavailable in decode_picture_timing

The downloads seem fine and place OK so if it is related to OSX Lion install then I completely understand I'm on my own.  If not then happy to put this in the pot for investigation.  If its informational only, please advise.

Once again thanks for your time and effort on get_iplayer.  Not sure how I'd have survived without it through so many seasons of Top Gear if it wasn't around.  My sons would certainly be far less happy!

Thanks, Kind Regards and look forward to your advice.
Radar

user-30

I think the error you mention is covered in the FAQ.

user-2

Hats off - you had better luck than I did. I borrowed a 10.7 machine today and discovered some Mojolicious-related breakage. In the end, I've decided to stop supporting anything older than 10.10 for get_iplayer, regardless of installation method. I no longer have the means to deal with issues on those dead platforms. 

It seems clear from your experience that a manual installation can work. If you have any secret sauce, please share. The BBC has made a mug out of me by speeding up their schedule pages, so now Mojolicious isn't quite so necessary. Thus for now it might be enough to simply omit Mojolicious on dead macOS. However, that won't be possible with future releases of get_iplayer

For El Capitan, your choice of installation method probably doesn't matter. If you think you might install other applications with Homebrew, then go that route. Otherwise, go with what you know and stick with manual installation.

user-1713

Thanks for your time and reply.  Looks like I can ignore the error.

I had searched but was pasting the entire error, hence I missed it.

Thanks once again.
Radar

user-1713

(01-05-2017, 09:19 PM)Hats off - you had better luck than I did. I borrowed a 10.7 machine today and discovered some Mojolicious-related breakage. In the end, I've decided to stop supporting anything older than 10.10 for get_iplayer, regardless of installation method. I no longer have the means to deal with issues on those dead platforms. 

It seems clear from your experience that a manual installation can work. If you have any secret sauce, please share. The BBC has made a mug out of me by speeding up their schedule pages, so now Mojolicious isn't quite so necessary. Thus for now it might be enough to simply omit Mojolicious on dead macOS. However, that won't be possible with future releases of get_iplayer

For El Capitan, your choice of installation method probably doesn't matter. If you think you might install other applications with Homebrew, then go that route. Otherwise, go with what you know and stick with manual installation.

@Dinky

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I have no secret sauce other than doing as I'm told by experts(!)  My only comment would be that my 10.7 system is pretty much stock.  Apart from MS Office and a couple of 3rd party utilities, the OS is much as it came off the DVD.

I appreciate going forward I am on borrowed time but I'm happy to be where I am at present with get_iplayer.  I do have a TV tuner I can use but obviously prefer the HD streams iPlayer offers. 

I'll perhaps look to bump up my route to a later OS if I can.  With Top Gear finishing the pressure is off me from a family point of view but I do like to be able to download if I see something.

Thanks once again and please keep up the good work.
Radar

These forums are archived

See this post for further info