See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Broken Packages

user-654

Folks,

I have Raspian installed on a R-Pi with version as shown below;

Linux raspberrypi 4.1.19+ #858 Tue Mar 15 15:52:03 GMT 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux

Previous version 2.97 (might have been 2.99) was working fine.

Followed instructions (I think) from the upgrade page and get the following;

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
get-iplayer : Depends: perl:any but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This Pi has a number of servers working on it and all are working fine.

Geffers

user-1503

what version of perl do you currently have installed?

Run : perl -v

user-1021

Someone else reported this privately, and it turned out that they were using Wheezy. packages.hedgerows.org.uk only supports jessie, so if you're using Wheezy then you'll have to follow the manual installation instructions on the wiki.

See https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...stallation

Regards
Jon

user-654

(08-05-2017, 12:45 AM)what version of perl do you currently have installed?

Run : perl -v

This is perl 5, version 20, subversion 2 (v5.20.2) built for arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
(with 92 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

I am running Wheezy, reluctant to upgrade but have many useful local servers running, all of which would require installing and configuring.

Geffers

(08-05-2017, 09:00 AM)Someone else reported this privately, and it turned out that they were using Wheezy.  packages.hedgerows.org.uk only supports jessie, so if you're using Wheezy then you'll have to follow the manual installation instructions on the wiki.

See https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...stallation

Regards
Jon

Thanks Jon, I am still on Wheezy.

Geffers

user-30

Does Raspian differ from Debian enough that upgrades are not seamless? Debian updates are supposed to be smooth as butter, just change the sources to point to the latest release (or I believe it'll do it sort of automatically if you're tracking something like Stable) and dist-upgrade.

Some Raspberry Pi aficionados to confirm or deny that?

user-1021

(09-05-2017, 08:01 PM)Does Raspian differ from Debian enough that upgrades are not seamless? Debian updates are supposed to be smooth as butter, just change the sources to point to the latest release (or I believe it'll do it sort of automatically if you're tracking something like Stable) and dist-upgrade.

Some Raspberry Pi aficionados to confirm or deny that?

I did try upgrading my pi from wheezy to jessie in-place. once, a long time ago.  I recall it worked ok.  Though to be honest I put a new image on my pi so often it's hard to say whether it was fully stable.  I certainly recall nothing being particularly broken.

There's some advice on the raspberry pi blog.

in short
- recommended way to upgrade is to install a fresh image
- there's an unrecommended in-place upgrade path described in the raspberrypi forums .

Given that it's trivially easy to put a fresh image on a fresh SD card, boot from that, try things, and still have the less-than-10-seconds option of putting the old card back in and booting again, I'd tend to suggest just starting again.

your mileage may vary.

Jon

user-654

(09-05-2017, 08:24 PM)[q

Given that it's trivially easy to put a fresh image on a fresh SD card, boot from that, try things, and still have the less-than-10-seconds option of putting the old card back in and booting again, I'd tend to suggest just starting again.

your mileage may vary.

Jon

Yes, agree new image is easy as is slipping old SD card back in. Just that I had a good stable setup running quite a few useful servers on my Pi and was reluctant to upgrade just because get_iplayer was not working.

May install Raspian Jessie Lite and give it a try.

Geffers

user-1503

You could just clone the SD-Card and use the cloned to upgrade it to the latest debian / raspian version to see if it works or if you get any errors.

it's also handy if you've a second r-pi you do it with.. ;)

user-654

(12-05-2017, 09:15 PM)You could just clone the SD-Card and use the cloned to upgrade it to the latest debian / raspian version to see if it works or if you get any errors.

it's also handy if you've a second r-pi you do it with.. ;)

That's not a bad idea actually.

Geffers

These forums are archived

See this post for further info