These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Segmentation fault with Homebrew Perl 5.24.1 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5

user-1846

I get a lot from get_iplayer, so I'm very grateful to those responsible for a nice bit of programming.

I just upgraded to get_iplayer 3.01.2 using homebrew (as usual). I now get Segmentation fault: 11 when I try to run get_iplayer. I uninstalled and then re-installed, according to the instructions at

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplay...osx#manual

but I still get the same problem.

It's probably a coincidence, but I installed SnailSVN using homebrew yesterday, following an unsuccessful experiment with SCplugin for subversion.

I'd be grateful for any help.

user-2

get_iplayer is just a script, so it won't segfault itself. You may have broken Perl or one of get_iplayer's dependencies. Post the output from perl -V. Also try to execute ffmpeg and AtomicParsley from the command prompt. If any of those segfaults, then get_iplayer won't work properly. If not, follow our instructions to provide a full report so we can see where the segfault occurs.

user-1846

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Here's the output from perl -V.

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 24 subversion 1) configuration:

Platform:
   osname=darwin, osvers=16.4.0, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level
   uname='darwin sierra.local 16.4.0 darwin kernel version 16.4.0: thu dec 22 22:53:21 pst 2016; root:xnu-3789.41.3~3release_x86_64 x86_64 '
   config_args='-des -Dprefix=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1 -Dprivlib=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1 -Dsitelib=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1 -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1 -Dperlpath=/usr/local/opt/perl/bin/perl -Dstartperl=#!/usr/local/opt/perl/bin/perl -Dman1dir=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/share/man/man1 -Dman3dir=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/share/man/man3 -Duseshrplib -Duselargefiles -Dusethreads'
   hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
   useithreads=define, usemultiplicity=define
   use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef
   usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
 Compiler:
   cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV',
   optimize='-O3',
   cppflags='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include'
   ccversion='', gccversion='4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)', gccosandvers=''
   intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678, doublekind=3
   d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16, longdblkind=3
   ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
   alignbytes=8, prototype=define
 Linker and Libraries:
   ld='cc', ldflags =' -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib'
   libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/include/libxml2 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/8.0.0/lib /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/lib /usr/lib
   libs=-lpthread -ldbm -ldl -lm -lutil -lc
   perllibs=-lpthread -ldl -lm -lutil -lc
   libc=, so=dylib, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.dylib
   gnulibc_version=''
 Dynamic Linking:
   dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=bundle, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
   cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector-strong'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
 Compile-time options: HAS_TIMES MULTIPLICITY PERLIO_LAYERS
                       PERL_COPY_ON_WRITE PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV
                       PERL_HASH_FUNC_ONE_AT_A_TIME_HARD
                       PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT PERL_MALLOC_WRAP
                       PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV PERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV
                       USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_64_BIT_INT USE_ITHREADS
                       USE_LARGE_FILES USE_LOCALE USE_LOCALE_COLLATE
                       USE_LOCALE_CTYPE USE_LOCALE_NUMERIC USE_LOCALE_TIME
                       USE_PERLIO USE_PERL_ATOF USE_REENTRANT_API
 Built under darwin
 Compiled at Feb 26 2017 18:56:17
 %ENV:
   PERL5LIB="/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5"
   PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5"
   PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base "/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5""
   PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5"
 @INC:
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1
   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$

user-2

And the rest?

user-1846

Atomicparsley and ffmpeg both work (i.e., don't give a segmentation fault) from the command line.

user-2

So send a full report as I instructed. I can't see what is happening unless you show it.

user-1846

1. Get_iplayer returns a segmentation fault.

2. get_iplayer -V returns the segmentation fault, but I know that I just installed get_iplayer 3.01.2.

3. I'm using macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

4. I typed get_iplayer without any parameters.

5. Not downloading a programme.

6. Output: "Segmentation fault: 11".

7. Of course,

get_iplayer --get 123 --verbose > "$HOME/log.txt" 2>&1

returns the same segmentation fault.

user-2

Try /usr/bin/env perl -V. get_iplayer uses env to launch the perl defined in your shell environment. If using env is the source of the segfault, that would also be a more fundamental problem.

As the documentation makes clear, only the system Perl is supported, and you're using Homebrew Perl. Run /usr/bin/perl /path/to/get_iplayer to see if it will launch with system Perl. If so, then I suggest you roll everything back. Get rid of the manual installation and re-install get_iplayer via Homebrew, then get rid of Homebrew Perl. If you need a newer Perl for other reasons, look into Perlbrew, which gives you more control over using multiple versions of Perl. If /usr/bin/perl segfaults, then something more fundamental is wrong with your system.

user-1846

I did as you suggested. Please see the result of /usr/bin/env perl -V listed below.

I also tried running /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/get_iplayer and got the same segfault.  :-(

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$ /usr/bin/env perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 24 subversion 1) configuration:

Platform:
   osname=darwin, osvers=16.4.0, archname=darwin-thread-multi-2level
   uname='darwin sierra.local 16.4.0 darwin kernel version 16.4.0: thu dec 22 22:53:21 pst 2016; root:xnu-3789.41.3~3release_x86_64 x86_64 '
   config_args='-des -Dprefix=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1 -Dprivlib=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1 -Dsitelib=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1 -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1 -Dperlpath=/usr/local/opt/perl/bin/perl -Dstartperl=#!/usr/local/opt/perl/bin/perl -Dman1dir=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/share/man/man1 -Dman3dir=/usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/share/man/man3 -Duseshrplib -Duselargefiles -Dusethreads'
   hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
   useithreads=define, usemultiplicity=define
   use64bitint=define, use64bitall=define, uselongdouble=undef
   usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
 Compiler:
   cc='cc', ccflags ='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV',
   optimize='-O3',
   cppflags='-fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include'
   ccversion='', gccversion='4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)', gccosandvers=''
   intsize=4, longsize=8, ptrsize=8, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678, doublekind=3
   d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16, longdblkind=3
   ivtype='long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
   alignbytes=8, prototype=define
 Linker and Libraries:
   ld='cc', ldflags =' -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib'
   libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/include/libxml2 /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/8.0.0/lib /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/lib /usr/lib
   libs=-lpthread -ldbm -ldl -lm -lutil -lc
   perllibs=-lpthread -ldl -lm -lutil -lc
   libc=, so=dylib, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.dylib
   gnulibc_version=''
 Dynamic Linking:
   dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=bundle, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
   cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -mmacosx-version-min=10.12 -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector-strong'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
 Compile-time options: HAS_TIMES MULTIPLICITY PERLIO_LAYERS
                       PERL_COPY_ON_WRITE PERL_DONT_CREATE_GVSV
                       PERL_HASH_FUNC_ONE_AT_A_TIME_HARD
                       PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT PERL_MALLOC_WRAP
                       PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV PERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV
                       USE_64_BIT_ALL USE_64_BIT_INT USE_ITHREADS
                       USE_LARGE_FILES USE_LOCALE USE_LOCALE_COLLATE
                       USE_LOCALE_CTYPE USE_LOCALE_NUMERIC USE_LOCALE_TIME
                       USE_PERLIO USE_PERL_ATOF USE_REENTRANT_API
 Built under darwin
 Compiled at Feb 26 2017 18:56:17
 %ENV:
   PERL5LIB="/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5"
   PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT="/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5"
   PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base "/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5""
   PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/Users/jimwoodcock/perl5"
 @INC:
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /Users/jimwoodcock/perl5/lib/perl5
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/Cellar/perl/5.24.1/lib/perl5/5.24.1
   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
   /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.24.1
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$ which get_iplayer
/usr/local/bin/get_iplayer
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$ /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/get_iplayer
Segmentation fault: 11
MacBook-Pro:~ jimwoodcock$

user-1846

This seems relevant. I've been using get_iplayer from the command line to download BBC programmes, but Get iPlayer Automator for downloading ITV programmes. The latter works just fine — no Perl problems.

user-2

GiA doesn't use perl for downloading ITV programmes, only for searching. But that begs the question: Why not use GiA for BBC programmes if it's working? GiA is hardwired to invoke system perl in a different environment. You can probably mimic it with env -i bash --noprofile --norc, which will open a shell without your normal configuration applied. Worth doing in case something in your configuration is messing with Perl.

Have you tried running any Perl scripts except get_iplayer? If you can run a test script, but not get_iplayer, then it may be that some native code in a get_iplayer dependency you installed is throwing the segfault, though that is only a guess. I'm not willing to go that deep, but if you know how, you can load them individually to see if one is broken.

You really need to get back to a minimal clean environment to test in, but it's impossible for me to know what you've done to your system, or how you did it, or when. Some generic advice:
  • delete ~/perl5 (or whatever you used for local::lib)
  • delete eval `perl -I ~/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib` in .bash_profile (or wherever you put it)
  • open a fresh shell without local::lib configured
  • brew uninstall perl
  • brew uninstall get_iplayer (if still installed)
  • If you only installed Homebrew for get_iplayer, then uninstall it completely and clean out /usr/local, including your manual install of get_iplayer.
  • run /usr/bin/perl -V to ensure that no paths under ~/perl or /usr/local are in @INC
  • download a fresh copy of get_iplayer into your working directory - don't install in /usr/local
  • try /usr/bin/perl ./get_iplayer -V
  • if that fails, run env -i bash --noprofile --norc to start a new shell, then try /usr/bin/perl ./get_iplayer -V again

If that doesn't bear fruit, then that's where I throw in the towel because I don't see a get_iplayer problem here. I know for a fact it runs with system Perl on clean versions of 10.7+, and it would be a mutual waste of time for me to just start guessing what you broke on your system. I know nothing about SnailSVN, but if something like that somehow broke your system Perl or any of its modules, somebody should get a spanking. Maybe someone willing to invest more time will come along with better advice.

user-1846

Dinky: As you suspected, it was a Perl problem caused by my installing an SVN client. Thanks for your time and trouble.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info