These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Is it possible to have PVR record a series using a PID instead of a search string?

user-21

Is it possible to have PVR record a series using a PID instead of a search string?

since podcasts were removed from get_iplayer it hasn't been possible to download them under the name of the podcast

ie comedy of the week

which has different program names every week.
However I noticed to day that if you use the series pid for podcasts it will download all the available instances of said podcasts, or not if they already exist.

Of course I dont know what you would use in the PVR file to search for the series pid

comedy of the weeks series pid is p02pc9x6

my current PVR for that podcast is
Code:
Channel Radio 2,Radio 3,BBC radio 4,
fields name
modes good,
output F:\Media\radio\comedy of the week\
subtitles 0
thumb 0
type radio
versionlist default
search0 ^comedy of the week
fileprefix <firstbcastdate> <nameshort> <.episodeshort> <.senum> <.pid>
obviously this has not worked for some time
If it is not possible to look for a specific PID in GIP PVR now perhaps it could be included in a  future version as it would make podcasts available again.

user-2

(04-09-2017, 03:36 PM)However I noticed to day that if you use the series pid for podcasts it will download all the available instances of said podcasts, or not if they already exist.
It works the same way with the PVR. Create a new PVR search with --pid and --pid-recursive instead of search string.

user-21

I understand that about --pid and --pid-recursive
however I want, if possible, to do it from the scheduler which runs every day, rather than have to remember to run a specific search once a week or more.

whilst on the subject of pid recursive I have noticed that if I include an output folder it truncates the folder name to the first space

for instance
Navy Lark, would create a new folder called Navy

where as if I just use the scheduler it would download into the Navy Lark folder.
sorry to drift a little off topic.

user-2

Run it as often as you like, just like any other PVR search. As for your Navy Lark folder, you no doubt neglected to quote the path.

user-21

the point you seem to have missed is that any multi word file path works fine with the scheduler but when running from cli with --pid-recusive truncates to the first word.

my pvr schedule
Code:
Channel Radio 2,Radio 3,BBC radio 4,
fields name
modes worse,good,vgood
output F:\Media\radio\navy lark\
subtitles 0
thumb 0
type radio
versionlist default
search0 ^The Navy Lark
fileprefix <nameshort> <.episodeshort> <.senum> <.pid> <.channel>

and this is the pid recursive
Code:
get_iplayer --get --pid=b00bfvkd --pid-recursive  --modes=worse,good,vgood --type=radio --file-prefix="<nameshort> <.episodeshort> <.senum> <.pid> <.channel>" --output F:\Media\radio\navy lark\

I tried putting quotes round the output path and it stopped with an error

Code:
ERROR: Cannot open (write): F:\Media\radio\navy lark"\The Navy Lark .The Admirals Party .s01e07 .b00vdfdq .BBC Radio 4 Extra.audio.ts

user-2

The point YOU seem to have missed is that escaping one of the quotes with a backslash defeats the purpose. Just look at the error message: a file path with single quote in the middle doesn't look right, does it?

user-21

no it doesn't, but it was the result of this string
Code:
get_iplayer --get --pid=b00bfvkd --pid-recursive  --modes=worse,good,vgood --type=radio --file-prefix="<nameshort> <.episodeshort> <.senum> <.pid> <.channel>" --output "F:\Media\radio\navy lark\"

But yes you are right if I remove the final \ from the output path it works,

but in the schedule pvr it works with the final \

I will go through an edit my 300 or so schedules to remove the final \ then

user-2

(05-09-2017, 04:50 PM)but in the schedule pvr it works with the final \
You're not using the command prompt in that case, are you? You can't expect to work at the prompt if you don't follow the command shell's rules for argument parsing. If you don't know how it works, there is plenty of information just a google away. If you want a backslash at the end of your output path (useless, but harmless), then escape it - not the surrounding quote you need for proper parsing - with another backslash.
(05-09-2017, 04:50 PM)I will go through an edit my 300 or so schedules to remove the final \ then
You already know those have nothing to do with this, but it's your time to waste.

user-21

sorry did I make the mistake of assuming that the run pvr scheduler was running on a command prompt.

user-2

Of course the "Run PVR Scheduler" shortcut launches a command prompt, but that's not how you enter PVR searches, is it? You can't enter anything in that command prompt because a program is running, so it is irrelevant.

user-21

yes but it operates differently from a command line command is my point.

presumably somewhere within that run schedule file there is an equivalent of a CLI command running and looping?

user-2

(07-09-2017, 03:35 PM)yes but it operates differently from a command line command is my point.
Which is what I have already told you. Obey the rules of working at a command prompt and you will be able to enter the exact same PVR searches that you can enter in your web browser.
(07-09-2017, 03:35 PM)presumably somewhere within that run schedule file there is an equivalent of a CLI command running and looping?
Not really. Once the script is running, command line argument processing is irrelevant. For some reason you keep conflating running a PVR search with creating a PVR search. Apples and oranges.

I'm closing this thread now, with one final bit of advice: Just stop using a trailing backslash in your output paths, period, forever. It is unnecessary, and not using a trailing backslash will avoid this issue altogether. The PVR searches you have already created will continue to work as before.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info