These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Wide character in print warning on Windows

user-21

Code:
Wide character in print at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl line 3749.

I have noticed a couple of times recently the above appearing as I have been downloading various programs, the line number is not always the same. It doesn't seem to affect the download. It happened on a couple of programs today but not all.

I just wondered what it means

Code:
1866:   EastEnders - 08/04/2019, BBC One, m00041yj
INFO: 1 matching programmes

WARNING: A UK TV licence is required to access BBC iPlayer TV content legally
INFO: Downloading tv: 'EastEnders - 5898. 08/04/2019 (m00041yj) [original]'
INFO: Downloaded: 177.08 MB (00:29:34) @ 4.56 Mb/s (hvflow1/bi) [audio+video]
INFO: Converting to MP4
INFO: Tagging MP4
Wide character in print at C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\get_iplayer.pl line 3749.
New tv programme: 'EastEnders - 5898. 08/04/2019', 'Phil makes a confession to Ben, and Mel prepares for HunterÔÇÖs plea hearing.'

Code:
1973:   Fleabag: Series 2 - Episode 6, BBC One, p074qkfs

INFO: Downloading tv: 'Fleabag: Series 2 - 06. Episode 6 (p074qkfs) [original]'
INFO: Downloaded: 155.01 MB (00:27:15) @ 5.15 Mb/s (hvflow1/bi) [audio+video]
New tv programme: 'Fleabag: Series 2 - 06. Episode 6', 'As the wedding day arrives, will Fleabag find the ending sheÔÇÖs looking for?'

Code:
2257:   Have I Got a Bit More News for You: Series 57 - Episode 1, BBC One, m00041yz

INFO: Downloading tv: 'Have I Got a Bit More News for You: Series 57 - 01. Episode 1 (m00041yz) [original]'
INFO: Downloaded: 252.62 MB (00:42:06) @ 4.77 Mb/s (hvflow1/bi) [audio+video]
New tv programme: 'Have I Got a Bit More News for You: Series 57 - 01. Episode 1', 'Guest host David Dimbleby joins Ian Hislop and Paul Merton for the topical news quiz.'

user-586

This sounds like a Unicode perl problem as discussed for example here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4794...n-print-at

Probably the BBC threw in a Unicode weirdo into the title/tags somewhere.
Nothing much you as a user can do IMHO.

user-21

it doesnt seem to affect the download itself, I was just curious as I dont think I saw it before the latest version

user-2

Someone at the BBC has been using Microsoft Word with smart quotes turned on again. The presence of a curly quote in the console output generates a warning thanks to a couple of problems/limitations in Perl on Windows, so users on other platforms won't see it. A solution would entail either some messy workaround code or suppressing the warning altogether. This problem will likely never go away, so I'll probably implement the latter for the next release, though it isn't a great idea. At any rate, the warning is harmless and can be ignored.

user-2

There appears to be a proper workaround for this issue after all, so if it holds up it in testing should be in the next release.

user-21

cheers for the reply, I was just more curious why it happened as it didn't affect the download

user-2

Workaround implemented in v3.21

These forums are archived

See this post for further info