These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Email test thread

Pages: 1 2

user-30

This is a test thread, feel free to ignore.

user-1

This should send a notification to Heff and Squarepenguin.

user-975

I didn't receive anything. I've double checked my subscription settings and I'm definitely subscribed to all new threads and posts.

Actually at the bottom of the thread here it's giving me the option to unsubscribe from this thread, which would suggest I'm already correctly subscribed but the notification is not working?

user-30

I received a notification for HootingOwls post, but not for Heff's. Hoot - comment again...

user-1

Commenting as requested.

user-30

I received HootingOwls again but not Heff's.

user-585

I've also subscribed to this thread to see what happens.

Since the new forum launched I have had a few notifications through from both admin replies and normal user replies.

user-975

Well I received your notification tvfan, so perhaps it's just working out the kinks in the background?

I suppose the test will be if someone comments on the new thread by Montmorency, as I've not commented there but it says I'm subscribed:

/threa...-2474.html

user-585

If you go to your User CP and look at the "Subscribed Threads" option, are they all set to "Instant Email Notification"?

user-975

Yep, and as per this announcement I'm also subscribed to all new threads and posts.

It definitely works for threads I manually subscribe to, but now it's auto subscribing me so I get notified of all new posts on all threads...or that's the plan at least. I'm not sure if it's fully doing that.

user-30

There is an 'issue' with email notifications. MyBB, by default, has a policy whereby you receive a notification and then until you visit again, you'll receive no further notifications.

I can understand this policy, particularly if board admins have defaulted everyone to receive email notifications on every new thread or something as it is probably in place to stop appearing spammy.

But, in these forums, at registration I leave everything regarding notification to off and you have to opt in. If you post a thread then the default is, as the thread poster, you will receive an email notification that a reply has been made - for that thread you started ONLY.

To receive notifications for all new threads or posts as a 'normal' member you have to opt in. I don't want to spam you but to my mind, if you opt in for a notification then you expect a notification.

To that end, I'll be changing the default behaviour so that if you subscribe then you'll get notifications immediately upon new threads and/or posts depending on what you selected.

As I said, the default is no notifications so you'd have to opt in to this - I'm cautious of sending annoying emails that aren't wanted so it'll always be opt in.

Lastly, there is currently the option at registration to receive notifications via PM. That'll be removed as PM functionality is disabled here.

I'll make these changes as soon as time constraints and other commitments allow but they should be done before the weekend is over.

user-30

OK, changes have been made. If you've subscribed to this thread you should receive a notification even if you haven't visited.

Famous last words...

user-30

It was famous last words - changes needed a restart of hhvm/php5-fpm. Now we should be cooking with gas...

user-30

@heff Are you receiving the email notifications now?

user-975

I had actually turned them off until you had sorted it. Try again as I've turned it back on.

user-30

Ok, here you go. Make sure you check to see if the notification type is 'Instant email notification' in your user CP.

user-1

Test

user-1

Test again

user-30

Right, I've identified the problem and corrected it. We should be able to put this to bed now.

Heff - let me know if you receive notification of this reply.

user-975

I got it! This is the first email notification I received since my last comment.

It has subscribed me to this thread again as 'instant email notification', so whatever you did it's working properly for me.
Pages: 1 2

These forums are archived

See this post for further info