These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Is Infradead offline to everyone?

Pages: 1 2

user-11

Good afternoon

Just trying to download Get_Iplayer for Win10 upgraded laptop, but can't access http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win...latest.exe

Does anyone have a copy of the lastest version they can dropbox for me please?

user-585

Yes infradead is down

user-30

Confirmed. It seems that the DNS server has fallen over and bumped its head. You can still get to the site through one of the IP addresses:

Code:

Middle one works for me. However, I can't get the installer .exe using those IPs but that could be for other reason I guess.

user-585

Just so you know, this happened at around midday yesterday as well. Lasted a few hours and then went back to normal. Didn't last as long as today though.

user-11

ah ok, thanks
I've not seen this before in years of G_IP use, and got a bit concerned :-)

user-1038

Does anyone have a mirror of the installer exe?

user-585

@SquarePenguin Would you be able to host a copy of the installer on your server while infradead is down?

user-2

The installer downloads get_iplayer scripts from infradead.org, so it's useless if the site is down. The site has been down before, but never more than 2-3 days. Give it some time. I presume the site owner knows about the problem since a number of projects are hosted there, but as SP said, this appears to be a DNS problem, so it may be out of the owner's hands for the moment.

EDIT: As SP says below, mailing list is probably not an option

user-30

I've emailed the mailing list but as the MX records are down too it may not get there. We'll see...

user-1038

"But yes, it's down for a day or so while the VM cluster hosting it is
physically relocated. Apologies for the inconvenience." - dwmw2

Source: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get...08257.html

user-11

(22-09-2015, 09:31 PM)The installer downloads get_iplayer scripts from infradead.org, so it's useless if the site is down.

Yup, foiled by this too - trawled thru various external HDD to find the last download and got temporarily excited!

user-666

Is there a chance, that the download will work into the next days?
Or is there a way to get the Windows version from an other server?

Thanks for helping me!

user-585

I would hope it will be back online again soon.
Quote:Or is there a way to get the Windows version from an other server?
Not really. As SquarePenguin said above, the installer connects to infradead to download things like rtmpdump and ffmpeg so it's not just a case of moving the installer to a different place.

user-30

We don't know I'm afraid.

The server that hosts the installer and installation scripts is being physically moved and it isn't affiliated with me here in any way. Indications were it would only be a couple of days but as we see it's been 5 and it's still no back up.

Because the installer relies on the infradead.org server for certain installation scripts getting and using a copy of the installer would not offer a workaround. The installer needs that server.

I'm hopeful the infradead.org server will be back up soon but as I said, that server is totally independent of us here so we don't have any info on it's likely restoration.

user-585

The mailing list archive part of the server is back up and running though. That was only down for about a day and a half I think.

user-11

Even the old Linuxcentre link (first result in Google search for Get_Iplayer) doesn't work; http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer

I've got one PC with G_iP installed, am considering armed guards around it :-)

user-30

(27-09-2015, 11:26 PM)The mailing list archive part of the server is back up and running though. That was only down for about a day and a half I think.

That's right. Apparently it wasn't supposed to be down at all as it's on a different server but for whatever reason the move of the main server took down the lists MX records for list for that period.

To answer your earlier question about hosting the installer, I have offered to do that but it's not the work of a moment to rework the installer. It is on Dinky's radar for future consideration though.

(28-09-2015, 09:17 AM)Even the old Linuxcentre link (first result in Google search for Get_Iplayer) doesn't work; http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer

That's interesting, I had assumed that that site was hosted by Phil Lewis and wasn't on David Woodhouse's infrastructure.

user-11

It has been working up until the last day or so, as I always end up going there to get the link to the Windows installer (the bit about being maintained by others here)

user-2

If the infradead.org site is still offline at close of play on Wednesday, I'll post a standalone installer.  I may do it regardless of whether the site has returned. I don't want to change the installer between releases because it requires time better spent doing more enjoyable things such as poking a stick in my eye. But as SP mentioned, this issue has been on my radar, so even a quick hack would be a move in the right direction.

user-30

FYI www.infradead.org is now back up so the installer is available again.
Pages: 1 2

These forums are archived

See this post for further info