These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

RTMPdump failure using fresh install

user-696

fresh install of latest get_iplayer won't download. gives error with RTMPdump.  This just started happening today. was last working on friday/saturday.

--verbose output
http://pastebin.com/aYu8J9H0

WARNING: Your version of rtmpdump/flvstreamer does not support SWF Verification
WARNING: You may see this warning if rtmpdump has malfunctioned
WARNING: Use --verbose to print the output from rtmpdump
WARNING: rtmpdump/flvstreamer 1.8 or later is required - please upgrade

rtmpdump being installed with the installer is dated 4/2014

user-2

That's not the --verbose output.  Do as the error messages instruct and re-run with --verbose on the command line. You rtmpdump isn't installed properly or something on your system is interfering with it.  The --verbose output might provide a clue, but no guarantee.

user-2

Also, change --modes=best to --modes=flashvhigh1 in order avoid a lot of useless repetitive output.

user-696

sorry I copied the wrong file

http://pastebin.com/4DsKYRvr

here's a cleaner one as requested
http://pastebin.com/JzapHqbf

user-2

Thanks.  That confirms that something rtmpdump can't run.  From the get_iplayer console window run:
Code:
.\RTMPDump\rtmpdump-20140302-git-79459a2-win32\bin\rtmpdump.exe
at the prompt.  Post whatever is printed as a result.

user-696

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>.\RTMPDump\rtmpdump-20140302-git-79459a2-win32\bin\rtmpdump.exe
RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
ERROR: You must specify a hostname (--host) or url (-r "rtmp://host[:port]/playpath") containing a hostname

user-2

Thanks. Since you can run rtmpdump at the prompt, it appears that something is interfering with get_iplayer's ability to spawn a shell in which to run rtmpdump.  This problem appears in various guises. The likely culprits are anti-virus or "security" packages.  Try COMPLETELY disabling all such software (including related system services, could be a PITA) and testing again.  You can also try booting in safe mode with networking - if it works there that would tend to confirm interference by some third-party software in normal mode. You can also try --modes=hlsbest to see if the problem occurs when shelling out to run ffmpeg instead of rtmpdump.  There is no way for us to know what you have done to your system, so I'm afraid we can't really help beyond that. You'll find similar reports elsewhere in the forums, most without resolution, unfortunately.

user-696

well this was slightly embarassing... I had shut off file and print sharing. enabling it again allowed rtmpdump to startup just fine.

user-2

Thanks for the update.  I can't duplicate that problem, and I won't pretend that the solution makes sense, but I'm glad you found a fix for your system. I guess we can file that under "Windows - what can you do, eh?".

user-696

I think I figured out the issue. It has to do with a combo wireless ethernet/bluetooth device made by atheros (AR9462). The driver is finicky to say the least. takes very little effort to blow out the software driver and watch windows 8.1 stick its finger in the dyke mucking it up even worse. Reinstalling the Atheros 10.0.0.263 Rev. A driver seems to fix the rtmpdump issue.

These forums are archived

See this post for further info