These forums are archived

See this post for further info

get_iplayer forums

Forum archived. Posting disabled.

Radio bitrates

user-17

Hi thanks for all this support: I'm another non-tech refugee from radio downloader. So only interested in audio. With the help of these excellent guides, I installed GetiPlayer which is working fine but after setting a conversion default for mp3, it seems to transcode only to 128kpbs although the data suggests that the BBC Proms are streamed at 325kbps. Here is the data:
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (aac -> libmp3lame)
size= 82830kB time=01:28:21.08 bitrate= 128.0kbits/s

the --radiomode= function seems only to affect the original download. Can the transcode rate be set or should I do my own transcoding with RealPlayer (shudder)?

user-2

Radio 3 is a special case where MP3 encoding is concerned. By default, the AAC to MP3 conversion with
Code:
--aactomp3
produces 128kbps constant bit rate files. That is fine for speech programmes and most music programmes from other stations. If you wish to convert the higher-quality 320kbps music programmes from Radio 3, add the
Code:
--mp3vbr
option with a value of 0 (it can range from 0 to 9, with 0 being the best, target bit rate 245kbps). That will produce better conversions using variable bit rate encoding. For example:
Code:
get_iplayer --type=radio --get "Late Junction" --aactomp3 --mp3vbr=0

These forums are archived

See this post for further info